To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

In the event of a "Boil Water Notice"

Boil water notices can occur for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to insufficient pressure or irregular bacterialogical results. In the even of a boil water notice, please follow the directions in your notice, and feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. 

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.  Draw a glass of water from the faucet and sit it on the counter.  Within a few minutes, the water should be clear. 

What chemicals does our utility district add to the water?

Only chemicals that are approved by the National Safety Foundation for treatment of drinking water.

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

All public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line) by state law. Systems that use chloramine as a disinfectant must maintain a level of 0.5 mg/L by state law. Our disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

Most likely your water heater needs to be flushed. CAUTION: Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater. If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

What is the cost for new service?

The cost of new service can vary according to your individual needs. For standard installation, the cost is $5000.00. If road bore, ac tap, or any water main improvement is required, applicant member will be responsible for additional costs.

Please look under the "Customer Service" tab, click on the "New Service Request" tab in the drop down menu for additional information, and relevant paperwork.


What is the process to transfer service?

If you are selling your property and need to transfer service, please fill out the  transferor section of our "Transfer Application and Agreement". The new property owners will complete the transferee portion and will need to pay a $25.00 transfer fee along with other required paper work.  These documents can be found under "Forms"

How do I read my meter?

If you wish to check your meter reading for any reason, simply look at the 7 numbers across the top of your meter.The meter shows the total number of gallons of water recorded since the meter was installed.  Your usage can be calculated by subtracting the reading shown on your last bill, from the new usage on your meter.

How do I check for a water leak?

First, make sure that all faucets in the home are off and no water is running. Then locate the meter that supplies your home. Observe to see if the red leak indicator is turning or spinning (this could be a small red triangle or other shape). If so, you have a leak and water is going through the meter.

If you have a shut off valve that isolates the house from the yard line, turn it off, and check the meter again. If it continues to run, the leak could be located in the yard line. If it stops, the leak is located in the house. The next step is to isolate different fixtures or outlets in the home you suspect could be leaking. (Examples; toilets, hot water tanks, basin/sink).

Turn these fixtures off and then recheck the meter to see if it is still spinning. If the meter is still spinning after isolating different fixtures in the house, it's possible that the leak in under the house.

There is also a simple dye test that you can do to see if the toilet is running. This test is designed to show whether or not the flapper is sealed correctly. Food coloring or flavored drink mix can be used for this test. Please use red, green or blue. If you use cleaning tablets in your commode tank, remove them and flush the water clear. Put the coloring in the back of the tank. Let it sit for several hours, if possible, or over night without flushing. If the color shows up in the toilet bowl, or if the tank and bowl have flushed themselves clear, the flapper seals may need replaced.If the color is still all in the tank, then the flapper is sealed properly. 

If you suspect you have a leak, the recommended thing to do is contact a plumber.

What is backflow & how to prevent it

 Backflow is the undesirable reversal of the flow of water from its intended direction in any pipeline or plumbing system. Backflow is dangerous because it can allow drinking water in plumbing systems to become contaminated and unusable.

 Backflow preventers are mechanical plumbing devices installed in a plumbing system to prevent water from flowing backward in the system. A properly installed, tested and maintained backflow preventer at the service entrance to a building or property can reliably prevent the backflow of water of an unknown quality from flowing back into the community water system.

Why is water flushed from hydrants?

 There are several reasons we flush lines, but the main reason is to maintain the the minimum chlorine level required by law. Once per month we flush all dead end mainlines to ensure adequate chlorine residual is reaching every point in the distribution system. We also flush lines after we have repaired a leak or placed a new lines in service. Other times, if there has been an issue with air in the lines, or a pump outage, we will flush to ensure the removal of air from the lines, and to   maintain proper chlorine levels.

Water line breaks

If you discover a main line leak please call our office, or for after hours emergencies call 1-888-388-2941 so that we may reapir it as soon as possible.

Chlorine Residuals

Utility systems are required by state law to maintain a certain level of disinfectant residual throughout the distribution system. The effectiveness of chlorine dissipates over time, meaning that the longer water is sitting in the system, the less chlorine there is available in the water to act as a disinfectant. Flushing the lines through the hydrants solves this problem by moving stagnant water out and bringing fresh water in.

Flushing is also an important preventative maintenance activity. There are over 200 miles of water line within Cross Country WSC’s water system and over 10 sites that require flushing on a routine schedule. The flushing route is carefully planned and valves are opened and closed to control the direction of the water flow. Although it may appear to waste water, the process of flushing water is necessary to maintain the integrity of the water system and allows us to continue delivering the highest quality water possible to our members.

Black Fire Hydrants

Texas Health and Safety Code #341.0357-Texas Statutes-: Identification requirement for devices with the appearance of a fire hydrant but are considered to be nonfunctioning or unavailable for use in a fire emergency. The fire hydrants are painted black (according to Texas Law - House Bill 1717) to alert fire personnel that the device is considered non-functioning because it pumps less than 250 gallons of water per minute. The water system cannot handle the suction pressure of a fire truck pumping water from the black hydrant. Direct connection to the truck pumps could collapse the main lines in the immediate area. However, the hydrants (and in some cases multiple hydrants) can be used to refill pumper trucks. If the hydrants are near a fire location, truck refill time can be dramatically reduced.

Can I have two houses on one meter?

One meter is required for each residential, commercial, or industrial service connection. That means you can only have one residence or business connected to each meter. We define residence as any structure that is used for a separate residence. Typically, the structure must have a living area, bathroom and kitchen facilities to be considered a separate residential connection, but that may vary according to each situation.  Please contact the office to obtain a copy of TCEQ regulatory guidance.